Welcome back for the 2010-2011 school year! Needless to say it’s been an interesting beginning full of many changes and high expectations. It’s also been nice seeing again so many of my colleagues whom I only see at work. (I love picking their brains for ideas). As always, we at the Library Media Center (LMC) are here to try to make your days as teachers, administrators and students better and more rewarding. Already we are getting many questions and requests, so we thought we’d use this opportunity to address some of these. This should be especially helpful if you are new to our school or if you have forgotten how we operate. Please read carefully and call us at extension 1143 if you have any questions:
Important LMC dates
9/13, Mon: English teachers can arrange for classes to pick up portfolios (please call)
Teachers can schedule visits to check out books, esp. summer reading
9/14, Tues: Freshman English teachers schedule for library orientation, to begin 9/20
9/20, Mon: Freshman orientations begin
Study students can sign up for library study
For your AV and media concerns, call at once (xt. 1143) if you need:
- a bulb for your overhead projector, and you should have it in minutes
- help connecting your tv, vcr or dvd player, and it should be ok in moments
- a vcr, cassette player, CD player, or radio, for we have plenty of those
- a dvd player or video projector and screen, but I’d prefer to know two days before … and I can’t promise to get you one right away
Review of basic library rules
- Students may sign up for the library (if they have a scheduled study), only before homeroom starts or after the last school bell, after 2:05.
- Students may not get a pass from their study skills teachers to the library. Subject teachers may send students with a pass (up to 3) to complete class work or take a test. (Please call to advise us if you are sending students out of a class)
- Hats, hoods, cell phones, are not allowed. Every other rule in the student handbook also applies doubly true in the library.
- The library is a large common space, available and welcoming to all who wish to convene (after making arrangements or getting a pass), thus anyone who disrupts or interferes with the WORK being done, will be asked to leave – and may be banned for some time, depending on the wishes of the all-mighty Oracle.
- Remember to leave the library the way you found it. If you moved a chair, put it back. If your students moved chairs, have your students put them back. Better still … don’t move the chairs.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the library. Food includes anything you put in your mouth that you intend to swallow or chew on. Drink includes water. I can’t make this any clearer.
- We are here to help anyone and everyone who asks for help, especially when they ask with a smile.
I think that’s it.
I hope this was helpful and I thank you, as always, for stopping by.
Copyright © henry toromoreno, 2009. All rights reserved.